Your first dance as a married couple can be anything you choose: slow or fast, a mash-up mix, classic or modern, stylish or cheeky, but it is best to choose a song you know well as it will help you learn the steps.
We have taken the 30 most popular wedding dance songs and sorted them into styles, to help you find the one that best suits you.
Songs with a big finish
Many of the best love songs are power ballads. This list is one that allows you to really move around the dance floor as you build up to the song’s crescendo:
- I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing – Aerosmith
- (Everything I Do) I Do It for You – Bryan Adams
- I’ve Had The Time Of My Life – Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes
- When A Man Loves A Woman – Percy Sledge
- Love Is All Around – Wet Wet Wet
- Rule The World – Take That
- Kiss From A Rose – Seal
- Have I Told You Lately – Rod Stewart
- I Will Always Love You – Whitney Houston
- Unchained Melody – Righteous Brothers
Putting romance first
A number that ‘swings’ lends itself well to a classic American Smooth-style dance:
- I’ve Got You Under My Skin – Frank Sinatra
- Let There Be Love – Nat King Cole
- When I Fall In Love – Nat King Cole
- It Had To Be You – Harry Connick Jnr
- The Way You Look Tonight –
Originally performed by Fred Astaire to Ginger Rogers, this track has been covered many times, including by Tony Bennett, Mel Torme, Perry Como, Doris Day, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, Harry Connick Jnr, Michael Bublé and Rod Stewart, to name a few.
If you prefer a Rumba-styled first dance, then try one of these:
- Let’s Get It On – Marvin Gaye
- At Last – Etta James
- Tonight I Celebrate My Love – Roberta Flack & Peabo Bryson
- We Have All The Time In The World – Louis Armstrong
- Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
Fun on the dance floor
If want to show your fun-loving nature, try one of these upbeat tunes to get everyone dancing:
- I Got You Babe – Sonny and Cher
- It Must Be Love – Madness
- Walking On Sunshine – Katrina & The Waves
- My Girl – The Temptations
- All You Need Is Love – The Beatles
Or perhaps you prefer a modern love song to reflect your relationship:
- Just The Way You Are –Bruno Mars
- Need You Now – Lady Antebellum
- You’ve Got The Love – Florence + The Machine
- You’re Beautiful – James Blunt
- Everything Has Changed – Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran
Now perfect those wedding night dance steps
Once you have chosen your tune, visit your nearest Arthur Murray studio for a free bridal dance lesson. At our personalised wedding dance classes we tailor moves to suit your song, preferred style and dance abilities. Over a series of classes we can choreograph a personal and unique wedding dance to make your first dance as a couple extra special.
While we won’t be bamboozling you with complicated choreography, it is best to start as early as possible and practice regularly, so that your first dance is like second nature on the big day. And don’t forget to do some dress rehearsals too, to make sure you can dance in your new shoes.
Take the first steps to a wedding night dance to wow your friends and family. Find out more about our wedding dance lessons here.
- Dance Helps Problem Solving
- All about the Rumba : The Dance of Love